If you are curious about turmeric and would like to know how to use it, you are in the right place.
This aromatic, earthy herb is one of the world’s superfoods, not just because of the burst of flavour it adds to your meals, but more for its healing properties.
Traced back over four thousand years, the ancients greatly priced this bright yellow herb and used it frequently in their meals. In this article, we explore why it is such a wonderful herb and also share our favourite turmeric recipes.
What is Turmeric?
The National Center for Biotechnology Information describes turmeric as a rhizomatous root, Curcuma longa, which belongs to the ginger family, Zingiberaceae. This herb is mostly found in South Asia.
Although it grows as a root, it is mostly found in powdered form. It is known as a very powerful herb because of a component known as curcumin.
Turmeric Recipes We Love
How do you use turmeric in your food or drink? Actually, there are so many ways to use this root. The most common way is in curries. In most curry powders, that yellowish or orange colour you see is usually turmeric.
We have put together three of our favourite ways to use turmeric for your health. Each of these turmeric recipes are easy to make and you can put them together from the comfort of your home, with very little stress.
1. Turmeric and Lemon Rice with Coconut
2 cups basmati rice
2 cups water
1½ cups coconut milk
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp mustard seeds
Juice and zest of 1 lime, plus 1 lime sliced, to garnish
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp cilantro leaves, freshly chopped
Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear. Put the rice, water, coconut cream and the turmeric in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Stir in salt.
Bring rice to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Cover. Set aside for 10 minutes.
While rice is cooking, fry off the mustard seeds in a frying pan until they pop. Set aside.
Remove rice from pan into a serving dish.
Squeeze over lime juice and add zest. Tip in the mustard seeds. Add almost all of the chopped cilantro, mix through and sprinkle remainder over the top.
Finally, garnish with wedges of lime.
2. Turmeric Golden Milk Tea
If you are health conscious, or you simply want a delicious drink that is loaded with healthy goodness, then you really should try turmeric tea, or golden milk as it is called in several cafes around the world.
Turmeric tea has become the choice drink of the health conscious. It helps you deal with digestion issues and is a great way to keep healthy during the cold months.
So how to do make golden milk? This turmeric golden milk recipe is quite easy.
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
10g coconut oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey
- Mix all the dry ingredients including Superfood World Organic Turmeric powder with honey and coconut oil in a pan. Stir well using a wooden spoon until you get a smooth and silky texture.
- Preheat the almond milk in a separate pan and slowly add to the golden mixture.
- Serve warm and garnish with cinnamon powder.
3. Turmeric Detox Smoothie with Orange & Ginger
If you are a smoothie lover, then adding a bit of turmeric to your smoothie is a great way to clean your insides and get the health benefits of this spice.
There are several turmeric recipes for smoothies, but we really love the Turmeric Detox Smoothie. It could be because of how the smoothie changes colour after blending.
- 1tbsp level of organic Organic Superfood World Turmeric
- 1tbsp cinnamon
- 1tsp stevia powder (optional) or 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 blood orange
- 1 piece of ginger root (around 1 inch)
- 2 limes
- 5 carrots
- 6fl.oz (3/4 cup) water
- Peel the ginger and carrots and then slice them.
- Place them in the blender and add the juice of citrus fruits, the water, stevia powder/raw honey and half the cinnamon and Organic Superfood World Turmeric
- (If you would like to have a chilled version, add ice cubes in the beginning.)
- Blend it until smooth and serve in medium to large glasses. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon on top and enjoy!