A delicious wholesome soup that can be made in less than 25 minutes. Lentils are rich in all-important fiber and are recognized as being heart-healthy. Spinach is rich in iron, magnesium, zinc and also has a good range of vitamins and other minerals. The use of squash adds thickness to the soup and a subtle sweet flavor to balance out the spices.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sized squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into small chunks
- 7oz red lentils from a can (drained and lightly rinsed)
- 2tsp Organic Superfood World Turmeric
- ½tsp ground cumin
- oz vegetable stock (preferably fresh)
- 2 cans (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach, finely shredded
- Seasoning to taste (ground black pepper is good)
- 2oz chopped parsley or coriander
- In a large saucepan, gently sauté the onion and garlic until softened. Add Organic Superfood World Turmeric and cumin and stir thoroughly to absorb flavors.
- Add the squash and lentils and give it a good mix round. Continue to cook for 2 or 3 minutes, but be careful not to burn.
- Add lentils, then pour in the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, stir and continue to simmer.
- Just before ready to blend, add spinach and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Pour into your blender and blitz until almost smooth. Add the chopped herbs and any seasoning, and pulse for 10 seconds. Leave the soup a little ‘chunky’ in order to give texture.
- Serve in separate bowls, with a little more chopped herbs if required.
Nutrients Per Serving:
314 calories, 10 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 19 g fat, (15 g saturated fat), 7 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 0.9g salt